Page 1 of 2

Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:55 pm
by cat1sun
I am surprised no-one has posted any reviews to the Portland gig, maybe they are all still in shock... maybe some are still sleeping it off.
I have been listening to the pogues recordings for about 20 years. Love them.
I wish I had never seen them live.
It made me sad and angry.

I knew shane was a drunk, everyone one does. But I guess I hoped they could at least deliver a show.
One of the band members smiled and shook his head at Shane and said "hey this is how it is..."
well if this is how it is then they shouldn't tour.
The only song almost worth hearing was dirty old town.
Most other songs were butchered by Shane dragging the tempo and the band trying to speed up or slow down so it didn't just fall apart completely.
I can't imagine what is going through the heads of the other band members: I know they are brilliant musicans I saw some great moments from all of them (except shane)
I was embarrassed for them, but then I thought it seems like they are just milking mcgowan for what they can get until he drops dead.
They must be hard up for money to be willing to humiliate themselves in front of their fans like that.
So please buy their recordings and buy copies of their cd's for friends, maybe it'll spare them the necessity for ever touring again, and perhaps they'll even shout mcgowan a liver transplant when the time comes

The only positive thing I might be able to take away from the experience is a renewed sense of compassion for the drunks and hobos on the streets,I'll be reminded of shane, and know maybe in some of them there was an amazing songwriter and singer like mcgowan, and what a bloody shame life gave them such rum luck.

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:20 pm
by PHX TOM
Much the same as I felt on Saturday in Seattle. I was hoping it was
a one-off problem. It's bearable for people that know the lyrics
but terrible for the friends we bring that cannot even guess the
words that are being sung. Embarrasing.

The last few tours found Shane in great form which I guess makes this
tougher to take. Maybe a few Spider songs from Pogue
Mahone could be added or substituted on the fly to make the shows
a better experiance.

Still going to the show in Tempe...here's to Hoping:)

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:30 pm
by keithwillis2uk
I wasn't at the show myself as i live in England, but as far as i am concerned The Pogues were the best live band going and still are!!! I saw them in Newcastle last December and the band, including Shane were absolutely superb, and yes i am going again this December. I have never met them in person or anything like that and hope to one day, but i am never disappointed when i see them live. They are a fantastic bunch of musicians and no other band comes closer in my opinion.

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:47 pm
by notme
I'm glad you posted this cat because now I will share my story about seeing Shane perform last Sunday at Gavin Friday's show in NYC and then meeting him outside on the street afterwards.

I'm familiar with The Pogues and I always liked their music, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan. I was excited to learn that Shane would be performing at Gavin's show and even though he's legendary for performing drunk on stage and I've seen some videos of his less than stellar performances and interviews, I guess I wasn't prepared to actually witness it in person.

When he staggered around the stage and repeatedly dropped the mic my heart was breaking for him. I couldn't help thinking that this poor guy needs help. I thought it was quite respectful of Bono, Gavin and the others to stand back and let Shane finish up his solo part of the finale, but I also found myself wishing that someone would take him off the stage because for me it was really painful to watch.

After the show I was standing outside on the street when Shane staggered out. After he posed for a few photos he walked up right next to me. Just he and I standing there. I had no intentions of saying ANYTHING to him... but I got this strange feeling and then everything just quietly rolled out of my mouth... I said "Shane, man, you've got to quit drinking, it's going to kill you." Then I saw he still had the whiskey bottle so I said "And you're STILL carrying the bottle around with you??? You've got to give it up babe, it's no good for you." His reaction wasn't quite what I expected. He took my hand in his, brought it up to his lips and kissed it. My heart broke even more. I think I would have felt better if he would have told me to mind my own damn business or something. I went home and prayed for him and I've been praying for him every night since. It pains me to see anyone like this. It's not a paddy just having fun, it shouldn't be just the way it is.. it's tragic and somebody needs to try to get him into a rehab program. The hell with the tour! The hell with performing, it's not worth it. I've been reading about him and I know it's been tried before but maybe they need to keep trying. He can't possibly be happy like this.. can he??

I read an article online about an Irish reporter who went to the afterparty that night. She wrote that Shane was talking to her about the ghost of his first girlfriend and then talked about how he'd like them to play "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" at his funeral. The optimist in me thought that maybe, just maybe he 's thinking about what I said to him. But then I come here and read a review of the Seattle show where someone said he was in the worst shape they'd ever seen him. I thought there was a glimmer of hope when they said he poured the rest of his whiskey over himself and broke the bottle on the mic. But now reading your review of last night's show I see it was hardly a sign that he was going to ease up.

I know they say that nobody can make an alcoholic stop drinking unless they really want to stop, but I hope and pray that he will somehow get to that point soon. I would surely help him if I knew how.

God Bless You Shane! You're in my thoughts and my prayers!

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:20 am
by padraig reed
the show was LOUD.
band was excellent.... and yes, unfortunately they were excellent at slowing down and stopping
to adjust to shane seeming to always be a few words behind.

I knew what to expect, but in the four shows I've seen since 2006, it was his worst performance.
of course I always go see them when I can in hopes of it being better than the last time, but if you've
seen one pogues reunion show you've pretty much seen them all (with the exception of a couple different songs
here and there).

Getting tough to justify spending $60 when I know Shane isn't going to sound nearly as good as he did on all of those records that made us fall in love with the pogues... But i bet I'll see them again the next time they're around.

sucks to say, but you just can't raise the bar too high - just go looking for a good time and use the show as a
way to celebrate the songs we love and all of the people/memories/feelings/etc. that the pogues invoke in us.

also- the more the show went on, I feel like Shane got a BIT better. I guess he just really has to settle into the set, the buzz and into the role/character/whatever he has come to demand of himself.

went with two friends: one had seen them before, one had not. once I saw what kind of Shane night it was gonna be, I adjusted my attitude and stomped and shouted and we all had a blast.

the end of the show was awesome- after the second encore the house music came up (led Zeppelin) but the stage lights were still on and so was Shane. he stayed on stage and sang along w/ the song for two minutes... enough time for spider and Darryl to come back on stage and dance / sing along. was a sweet moment. this was possible because the crowd was GREAT and the band was thankful for that. I did feel bad for those boys when they had to alter the natural momentum and intensity of the songs in order to allow Shane to catch up.

still wish Shane was a sharper performer, but he wrote the songs and the band is always stellar and if you love the music enough and want to celebrate all things pogues related, it's worth it

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:22 am
by philipchevron
notme wrote:I'm glad you posted this cat because now I will share my story about seeing Shane perform last Sunday at Gavin Friday's show in NYC and then meeting him outside on the street afterwards.

I'm familiar with The Pogues and I always liked their music, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan. I was excited to learn that Shane would be performing at Gavin's show and even though he's legendary for performing drunk on stage and I've seen some videos of his less than stellar performances and interviews, I guess I wasn't prepared to actually witness it in person.

When he staggered around the stage and repeatedly dropped the mic my heart was breaking for him. I couldn't help thinking that this poor guy needs help. I thought it was quite respectful of Bono, Gavin and the others to stand back and let Shane finish up his solo part of the finale, but I also found myself wishing that someone would take him off the stage because for me it was really painful to watch.

After the show I was standing outside on the street when Shane staggered out. After he posed for a few photos he walked up right next to me. Just he and I standing there. I had no intentions of saying ANYTHING to him... but I got this strange feeling and then everything just quietly rolled out of my mouth... I said "Shane, man, you've got to quit drinking, it's going to kill you." Then I saw he still had the whiskey bottle so I said "And you're STILL carrying the bottle around with you??? You've got to give it up babe, it's no good for you." His reaction wasn't quite what I expected. He took my hand in his, brought it up to his lips and kissed it. My heart broke even more. I think I would have felt better if he would have told me to mind my own damn business or something. I went home and prayed for him and I've been praying for him every night since. It pains me to see anyone like this. It's not a paddy just having fun, it shouldn't be just the way it is.. it's tragic and somebody needs to try to get him into a rehab program. The hell with the tour! The hell with performing, it's not worth it. I've been reading about him and I know it's been tried before but maybe they need to keep trying. He can't possibly be happy like this.. can he??

I read an article online about an Irish reporter who went to the afterparty that night. She wrote that Shane was talking to her about the ghost of his first girlfriend and then talked about how he'd like them to play "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" at his funeral. The optimist in me thought that maybe, just maybe he 's thinking about what I said to him. But then I come here and read a review of the Seattle show where someone said he was in the worst shape they'd ever seen him. I thought there was a glimmer of hope when they said he poured the rest of his whiskey over himself and broke the bottle on the mic. But now reading your review of last night's show I see it was hardly a sign that he was going to ease up.

I know they say that nobody can make an alcoholic stop drinking unless they really want to stop, but I hope and pray that he will somehow get to that point soon. I would surely help him if I knew how.

God Bless You Shane! You're in my thoughts and my prayers!


Shane doesn't drink whiskey. But don't let the facts get in the way of your sanctimonious crap.

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:25 am
by Tomas O Cluimhain
Honestly ....were you expecting a Las Vegas style comeback performance?
Shane MacGowan has always been chaos - this isnt anything new... the Pogues have always put everything they had into their shows. I wasn't in Portland on Sunday, but I was at the Showbox on Saturday.

What I saw in Seattle was the band at their very best - Shane MacGowan giving it everything he had in the tank - everything.
While that may not be good enough for YOU I would take him at 10% before I would take 99% of the pretentious shite that pushes itself as music these days...

If we are lucky enough to have them tour again...my suggestion is that you don't bother your bollox going and leave the tickets available to people who DO enjoy his music....

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am
by moose
philipchevron wrote:Shane doesn't drink whiskey. But don't let the facts get in the way of your sanctimonious crap.


Philip, your take on the show? It seems to me that after every gig you get these types of reviews/stories. Some people love it and some don't thats just the way it is. Roll on December 8)

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:35 pm
by dublinrambler
These kind of reviews seem to raise their ugly head every so often. Ahh poor Shane is at deaths door, he needs to give up the boose. The man is probably going to outlive most of the people making these comments.

The comment that irked me the most was from the person outside carnegie hall who told Shane he needed to give up the drink, SUCH balls!

Leave the man alone or i'll be forced to make a youtube video similiar to the infamous "Leave Britney Alonnnnnnnnnne!!!!" one, except replace Britney with Shane.

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 pm
by Brother Wood
The Portland Show.....

Took my buddy and my dear ole dad.

The show was GREAT!!!

Some minor imperfections.

Shane played well with the audience, wearing hats thrown from the front stage, balancing his drink on his head etc.

He was twice as salty as last years show in Seattle, BUT WHO FUCKING CARES?

This is the legend himself, Saint MacGowan, and his inimitable band The Pogues.

God Bless Shane and the boys, all the best.

Id like to send a strong message to those with negative reviews.

POGUE MAHONE!

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:23 pm
by SkaPunkAndOtherJunk
dublinrambler wrote:Leave the man alone or i'll be forced to make a youtube video similiar to the infamous "Leave Britney Alonnnnnnnnnne!!!!" one, except replace Britney with Shane.


:lol: :lol: :P

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:16 pm
by NewJerseyRich
I heard from a few in Seattle and a few other Facebookers that had rave reviews about the shows..... nothing but good words to date. One thing I will say, at least the few that had issues with the show they saw had the decency to sign up and become a member of The Medusa. (my own little pet peeve)

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 pm
by NewJerseyRich
moose wrote:
philipchevron wrote:Shane doesn't drink whiskey. But don't let the facts get in the way of your sanctimonious crap.


Philip, your take on the show? It seems to me that after every gig you get these types of reviews/stories. Some people love it and some don't thats just the way it is. Roll on December 8)


Right on Moose, I think we're all curious on Mr C's take on things.....roll on March!

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 pm
by Mike from Boston
NewJerseyRich wrote:
moose wrote:
philipchevron wrote:Shane doesn't drink whiskey. But don't let the facts get in the way of your sanctimonious crap.


Isn't there a stock review somewhere on Medusa? Was it Fearnley who said something like "the singer was drunk, the band was great, ..."
Help!?

In any case, if you are new and going to see the Pogues, don't be put off by the negative reviews. You will miss a chance to see a wonderful show.
Obviously, all of us here are biased, but I think there is a lot of honesty put forth in this forum. I know I had vowed never to see a Shane/Popes show
after a late, crappy show in 2002, only to have attended Pogues shows the last four years that have been brilliant, leaving each concert wondering how Shane
seems stronger and stronger each year.

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:35 pm
by Simon

* Report this post
* Reply with quote

Re: Portland Roseland Theatre 10/11/2009

New post Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:47 pm
I'm glad you posted this cat because now I will share my story about seeing Shane perform last Sunday at Gavin Friday's show in NYC and then meeting him outside on the street afterwards.

I'm familiar with The Pogues and I always liked their music, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan. I was excited to learn that Shane would be performing at Gavin's show and even though he's legendary for performing drunk on stage and I've seen some videos of his less than stellar performances and interviews, I guess I wasn't prepared to actually witness it in person.

When he staggered around the stage and repeatedly dropped the mic my heart was breaking for him. I couldn't help thinking that this poor guy needs help. I thought it was quite respectful of Bono, Gavin and the others to stand back and let Shane finish up his solo part of the finale, but I also found myself wishing that someone would take him off the stage because for me it was really painful to watch.

After the show I was standing outside on the street when Shane staggered out. After he posed for a few photos he walked up right next to me. Just he and I standing there. I had no intentions of saying ANYTHING to him... but I got this strange feeling and then everything just quietly rolled out of my mouth... I said "Shane, man, you've got to quit drinking, it's going to kill you." Then I saw he still had the whiskey bottle so I said "And you're STILL carrying the bottle around with you??? You've got to give it up babe, it's no good for you." His reaction wasn't quite what I expected. He took my hand in his, brought it up to his lips and kissed it. My heart broke even more. I think I would have felt better if he would have told me to mind my own damn business or something. I went home and prayed for him and I've been praying for him every night since. It pains me to see anyone like this. It's not a paddy just having fun, it shouldn't be just the way it is.. it's tragic and somebody needs to try to get him into a rehab program. The hell with the tour! The hell with performing, it's not worth it. I've been reading about him and I know it's been tried before but maybe they need to keep trying. He can't possibly be happy like this.. can he??

I read an article online about an Irish reporter who went to the afterparty that night. She wrote that Shane was talking to her about the ghost of his first girlfriend and then talked about how he'd like them to play "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" at his funeral. The optimist in me thought that maybe, just maybe he 's thinking about what I said to him. But then I come here and read a review of the Seattle show where someone said he was in the worst shape they'd ever seen him. I thought there was a glimmer of hope when they said he poured the rest of his whiskey over himself and broke the bottle on the mic. But now reading your review of last night's show I see it was hardly a sign that he was going to ease up.

I know they say that nobody can make an alcoholic stop drinking unless they really want to stop, but I hope and pray that he will somehow get to that point soon. I would surely help him if I knew how.

God Bless You Shane! You're in my thoughts and my prayers!


May the judged be their judges when they rot down in hell

Whiskey, you're the devil, you're leadin' me astray
Over hills and mountains and to Americae :twisted: